Dairy Free Coconut Flan
Note: This year we will be focusing on recipes that are either dairy free, gluten free, and minimal sugar – YET delicious. We hope you join us on this journey.
Ingredients – 2 cans (15 ounces) organic coconut milk – ¾ cup brown sugar – 8 large eggs – 1/3 cup spiced dark rum – 1 teaspoon salt – 1 cup water – ¼ cup coconut chips – ½ teaspoon vanilla extract Prep Time Cook Time Cool Down Time 30 minutes 40 minutes 10-12 hours
• Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
• Whisk coconut milk, coconut chips, eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, spiced rum, vanilla, and salt together in a large bowl and mix till it is smooth.
• Set aside.
• Heat a skillet pan over medium low heat for 1 minute.
• Pour remaining sugar and stir constantly until sugar turns golden brown (usually takes 8-10 minutes – pay attention to the color.
As soon as it starts to get brown the sugar hardens quickly).
• Place 1.5 cups of water in a pot to boil.
• Slowly add golden brown sugar to the bottom of the pan.
• Set pan in a larger baking dish.
• Slowly pour coconut milk mixture into the baking pan (on top of the cooked sugar).
• Pour boiling water into the larger baking dish to make a water bath that comes halfway up the sides of the pan. Please note: water should not touch the coconut mixture in smaller pan. • Bake for 40 minutes.
• Remove flan from water dish.
• Refrigerate flan for up to 12 hours.
• When you are ready to serve, flip baking pan over and tap the bottom of the pan to firmly release the flan.
Stop by for an adjustment and this weeks recipe!