Garlicky Cilantro Rice
Note: This recipe has many steps because it is layered with flavors. I had to make this recipe
numerous times, until I created the rich flavor profile. Take the time to go through each step. You
won’t be disappointed with the explosion of tastes that fills your taste buds.
– 2 cups fresh cilantro
– ¼ cup of fresh lime juice
– 2 cups of basmati rice
– 2 gloves of garlic
– ¼ cup olive oil
– 2 teaspoons cumin
– 1 teaspoon of pepper
– 4 cups of water
– 1 tomato
– 1 shallot
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
5 minutes 25 minutes 30 minutes
• Dice tomato and shallot into small pieces, then marinade with sea salt and pepper.
• In small saucepan, lightly sautee shallot and tomato. No more than 2 minutes, then remove
from heat and set aside.
• In a large saucepan, lightly brown basmati rice with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, cumin, pepper,
and 2 teaspoons of lime juice. Should only allow to brown for one minute. Then set aside.
• In a blender, add garlic, cilantro, remaining olive oil, and lime juice and blend. Then set
• In medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to boil (be sure to add a pinch of salt).
• Add rice, remaining salt, and one tablespoon of butter and reduce to a simmer.
• Cook for about 10 minutes, when water is mostly absorbed by the rice mix in the cilantro
garlic mixture. Be sure to blend well so that all the sauce is absorbed by the rice.
• Mix in shallot and tomato and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
• Remove from heat and fluff rice.