Summer is here! However, summer can be stressful for parents. Without the structure of school, you may find your kids spending hours in front of the TV or other devices. Unfortunately, it is up to you to give your children opportunities outside of screens.
Thankfully, there are so many wonderful things to do in and around Orange County! And, you don’t have to spend a ton of money to have some summer fun!
Below are some screen-free ideas for summer:
- Go to the beach – allow kids to get some natural vitamin D (and exhaust them in the process).
- Plan play dates with other families
- Scavenger hunt – create a scavenger hunt in your home, back yard, or local park for the kids
- Reading contest – set up a reading contest for your child. It can be a playful competition with their siblings, friends, or relatives or just individually. You can even have your child read to their younger siblings and/or tell you about what they are reading about.
- Teach them how to cook! Home ec classes are becoming a thing of the past. Have your child pick out a recipe and plan a day when you will prepare and cook a meal together.
- Library – check out your local library for activities.
- Movie theaters – check out the local theaters for summer specials.
- Zoos – Check out a local zoo, many of them offer free admission for children under 2!
- Parks and splash pads – there are so many wonderful parks to check out. There are even some open splash pads – get outside and enjoy the warm weather.
- Obstacle course – set up an obstacle course, this can be inside or outside. Have your kids go through the course and time them. They’ll love it!
- Make homemade ice cream or popsicles – Enjoy a cold sweet treat and learn how to make it in the process.
We know there are a lot of hours in the day to fill during the summer months. Having a plan will help you keep your children stimulated and screen-free!