Note: You may be looking at this recipe going – what the heck is Fonio? Initially we had that same reaction. Over the past few years, we have changed our diet to focus more on ketogenic, paleo, and gluten free alternatives. In doing this, keeping our meal prep interesting sometimes had challenges. While researching for alternatives for gluten free grains we found Fonio. It is an African supergrain (serves like rice but cooks like couscous and tastes delicious!). Over the next month we will focus recipes using fonio.
3 cups fonio (we used Yolele Fonio- purchased through Amazon) 5 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
Himalayan sea salt
Pinch of pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring water to boil
- Add heavy cream and 1⁄4 stick of butter and allow to continue to boil for one minute
- Slowly stir fonio into boil water and heavy cream
- Add salt and additional 1⁄4 stick of butter, sea salt and pepper to taste
- After you mixed all the ingredients above, cover and remove from heat
- Allow to sit for five minutes
- Mix in parmesan cheese
You now have a delicious dish or baseline grain to add your meals. You can eat this delicious supergrain on its own OR stay tuned for the upcoming recipes for ideas for pairing this grain.